US President Donald Trump signed a proclamation earlier this week suspending the entry of workers on the H-1B and some other non-immigrant visa programmes. The order came into effect from June 24 and will expire on December 31.

Indian IT industry body NASSCOM has termed the suspension ‘misguided’ and harmful to the US economy. The CEO of the US Chamber of Commerce Thomas Donahue said, “This proclamation is a severe and sweeping attempt to restrict legal immigration. Putting up a ‘not welcome’ sign for engineers, executives, IT experts, doctors, nurses and other workers won’t help our country, it will hold us back.”

Tech majors like Google, Apple, Amazon and Tesla have also slammed the move. Google CEO Sundar Pichai took to Twitter to voice his concerns. He said, “Immigration has contributed immensely to America’s economic success, making it a global leader in tech, and also Google the company it is today. Disappointed by today’s proclamation – we’ll continue to stand with immigrants and work to expand opportunity for all.”

To discuss the concerns regarding the suspension of H-1B and other non-immigrant visa programmes, CNBC-TV18’s Shereen Bhan spoke to the President of the US India Business Council (USIBC), Nisha Biswal.

Video Interview 

Source: CNBC TV 18